Friday, November 23, 2018

What Residency Looks Like XXXXVI: Happy Holidays

Sometimes residency looks like spending yet another Thanksgiving in the hospital taking care of patients who aren't having very good holidays either. This shift involved two conscious sedations while Plastic Surgery stitched kids up, one sedation for Ortho to set a broken arm, and one laceration repair under local nerve block that I performed myself. During the day, football games could be heard on a variety of devices, and at night someone put on Christmas songs. My attending bought me Starbucks to drink while I caught up with my notes. When I commiserated with one family on having ended up in the emergency room, she replied that she was just glad we were here to help. These can be happy holidays after all.

Older

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...