Thursday, September 26, 2019

What Residency Looks Like LXXIV: Team Leader

The baby's name tag reads "Team Leader." It's in better
shape than the one-armed bandit I had to use in
medical school.

Sometimes residency looks like CPR training. I staged this photo with a dummy baby and my pocket card while taking a CPR recertification course. The situation was a little bit ridiculous, as my cohortmates and I had unknowingly signed up for a course that ran 4pm-midnight after our usual daytime responsibilities. We later figured out it had been meant for nurses to do as a second shift or on nights. ("Lunch" was scheduled for 8pm.) Nevertheless, we watched the cheesy videos and repeatedly saved the dummies from asthma, cardiac arrhythmias, and septic shock in between trading stories from the ED and the PICU. I briefly found it interesting that everyone (not just the MD-types) was required to be the Team Leader for two cases. It's a role I assume I will be assumed to take, but there's not always a physician available, and a seasoned nurse is more than capable of running a code team (better than an unseasoned doctor, I can assure you). We helped each other out, cracked a lot jokes, and because the instructors kept things moving, we actually got out a little after 10pm. We're now certified for the next 2 years, until we have to do it all again. Hopefully at more normal hours.


p.s.--This experience reminded me of my very first WRLL post, about practicing intubation. Interestingly, it is the one skill we didn't do at this course.




Older
Newer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...