Sunday, May 17, 2020

What Residency Looks Like XCIII: Back porch oasis



Sometimes residency looks like studying for board exams in a lounge chair on your back porch. The "garden" bed is a riot of green weeds and Queen Anne's Lace that I don't see a need to do anything about because it thrives so wondrously without me. Above me hang the wind chimes: a piano keyboard from Aunt B., a copper spinner from Uncle M. and Aunt C., and a tubular chime left by the prior occupants.

Summer 2020 was supposed to be a mix of hot sunny days as a healthcare volunteer at Camp CAMP down in Central Texas; a week that would go by too quickly with my family at Smith Mountain Lake; and studying. Probably we would have squeezed in at least one trip to Cincinnati for Fourth of July or birthdays. But CAMP has been shuttered for the summer, and the rental house canceled our reservations, so we're left with the calculus between how many hours a day I can effectively study...and when we will feel ready to travel.

By this point we are Zoom pros and proud of our custom backgrounds, so if you haven't seen our faces for too long and want to, please reach out to set up a session! You'll know where to find me with my textbooks and practice questions...

Older

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...