Saturday, August 6, 2022

The Furniture Wedding Anniversary

Dear Husband and I have just celebrated 17 years of marriage. Did you know that on the 17th anniversary you are supposed to buy each other furniture? That means we've celebrated many times over since we moved into our new house in late March! God blessed us with beautiful weather to have some church friends over for a cookout/potluck on our anniversary this year. Beforehand, I went through the memory boxes in the attic to pull out items to show them.


I found the Feng Shui for the perfect wedding book that my maid of honor got us!
(We got married on the auspicious date of 8/6.)
I still had an old Baltimore Sun Travel article on Denver, and the whole issue from August 8, which is the day we left for our honeymoon. (Why? I don't know anymore and recycled them both.)


This was our invitation set; the seashell stands out better
on the stone engraving one of his relatives got us as a creative gift.


I consider this beautiful blue buffet our anniversary gift to each other.


Here is a page from our wedding album and handwritten
"Sweet Memories" of our engagement on July 19, 2004, at the Outer Banks.


We still have a copy of the wedding program in Howard Nash's inimitable style.


We were even in the newspaper! DH's mother put an announcement in their local paper
and laminated a couple copies for posterity.


I still have several dozen custom party favors: a paper with our names and the name with the edges cut like driftwood, a seashell, some paper "bear grass," real baby's breath, and a loop of ribbon. Thank goodness for SH's design and hot glue-gun skills! I encouraged our guests to take one.


At the last minute, I grabbed my wedding dress and draped it over the bed. The only thing that got a better response all night was opening the door to the full-sized cedar closet!


My bridesmaids decorated the door of our hotel room in the middle of the night! 
I found it stashed at the bottom of a box and put it on the front door of the house.


We honeymooned in Denver and Estes Park, Colorado. DH had wanted to travel to Spain, and I wanted to visit Italy, but we didn't have time to cross the Atlantic and still get back to pick up the keys to our apartment, so we chose Denver in order to "collect" Coors Field, where the Rockies play baseball. This trip started the tradition of visiting a botanical garden and an art museum on vacation. We also toured the State Capitol, Mile High Stadium (we touched the grass!), and the aquarium.


This is the photo collage my grandmother made that hung in her house until we bought our own.


No one who celebrated with us knew us back then, so it was really wonderful to share this part of our lives with them. Just like it took a small army to put on the wedding and its associated events, so these are "our people" now. We had a lovely time grilling, sharing salads, and finishing DH's birthday ice cream cake with them.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories! It was fun putting the seashells together, especially since it was for you and Michael. We were so happy to be at your wedding; I can't believe it was 17 years ago!! Wish we could could see you once in a while. Let us know when you're in the Balt area, so we can try to get together with you & your folks. So glad you've made a new "family" of friends. Enjoy your new home and may you be blessed with many, many more years of giving each other gifts of furniture and love! Love you - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised your wedding was 17 years ago. We were happy to be present during your wedding and reception. I liked the photo of you on the piano with Andy playing. Stevie Hoffman

    ReplyDelete

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...