Saturday, September 23, 2023

San Diego Day 1: Do you want to be the pretty or strong today?


Instead of an August lake trip, this year Dear Husband and I flew to San Diego, CA, to celebrate my youngest brother's wedding and have a week of vacation. I wanted to do a whale-watching boat ride, but it was the wrong time of year, so on our first full day, I booked us a morning of sea kayaking at La Jolla to look at the birds and sea lions. My Awesome Parents (MAP) came with us. Photos courtesy of my new SIL lending me a waterproof sleeve for my phone.




When we were ready to get into our kayaks, the guides advised that "the prettier" person should sit up front and "the stronger" person in the back, so I asked DH which one he wanted to be that day. Unfortunately, he quickly got quite seasick, and neither of us had thought to pack Dramamine. My father offered to go back to shore with him, as his bum shoulder didn't really tolerate the paddling. He and I switched kayaks without capsizing, much to the guide's surprise, and my mother and I continued on. 


We learned about spotted leopard sharks, the 4 different marine environments, and the 7 La Jolla caves. Sunny Jim's is the cave that was dug from the surface and is now a tourist attraction. Our guides took us into Clam Cave, which had deep green water and purple rock marking the high-tide line on the walls.


Then it was back to the hotel for warm showers and a quick lunch before the wedding rehearsal. After another rest, it was time to head to the Old Town Tequila Factory for amazing views, excellent margheritas, and meeting (up with) friends and family. By way of explanation, the bride's friend from Annapolis brought the fantasy football belt she had won last season, which she is showing off here.




We ended the day with my New Jersey aunt and uncle at the St. Louis Cardinals vs San Diego Padres baseball game. The Padres had won the previous 7 games, so Petco Park was sold out. It was a fun atmosphere, especially since the game was close, and the Padres pulled off the win!


One of these years I will remember to put my chin down for selfies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...