Sunday, June 27, 2010

Home sweet future home

In the last two weeks I've gotten some great news. The first thing that happened is a friend put me in touch with a relative who is church-planting with his wife in Dresden. He got me in touch with another researcher at the Technische Universitaet in Dresden, where I will be matriculating as a student in the fall. This means that when I move to Dresden in late September, I will know three English-speakers already, who will be able to help me with school/residency paperwork and with finding a church. They will also help make the transition less lonely.

The second good thing that happened is that I found a place to live. I wasn't having much luck with the students looking for another roommate, since I am not planning to stay in Dresden for a whole year, so I posted a want ad for a furnished room near the state archive, the German Hygiene Museum, or the university (all in the center of town). A few days later, an artist contacted me with an offer to take the extra bedroom in the apartment she shares with her 5-year-old daughter.

You can see what will be my room in the first photograph. That's her artwork on the walls. She also sent me some photos of the neighborhood, known as Koernerplatz, which you can see on the left.



It's not quite the part of town I was hoping to be in, but it's right on the other side of the Elbe River, and the area certainly looks nice. This river meadow is within easy walking distance.

During my trip I'll try to post some fun post with pictures every week. Until then, I'm still reading all sorts of interesting things about nutrition in the early twentieth century. Just yesterday I came across before and after photos from a tummy tuck--in 1912!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...