Monday, May 27, 2019

Veggie Pizza Pizza

I always admired this dish when it was served at events at our old church in Illinois, so when the pastor's wife posted about it on Facebook recently, I decided it was time to figure out how to make it myself. It's pretty easy! I combined Pillsbury's Easy Crescent Veggie Pizza with the Reduced-Fat Crescent Veggie Pizza based on the ingredients I could find. Because the recipe(s) supposedly produce 30 servings, I made us only half of the recipe at a time, which for us was 4 dinner-sized servings or enough for 2 meals with sides, typically carrot sticks, green salad, or fruit salad.


1. Heat oven to 375F.

2. Lay one canister of 90-calorie Pillsbury crescent rolls out flat on an (un)greased pan. I pressed down the seams, as instructed, and tried to make something of a crust on a flat sheet. That part was marginally successful.

3. Pop crust in oven for ~15 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, chop vegetables. You can use whatever you like: broccoli, tomato, bell peppers, onions, cucumber or zucchini, radishes, asparagus, etc. Shave 1 small or 1/2 a large carrot.

5. Remove crust from oven and place on oven mitts or trivets in the fridge to cool. (I didn't want to have to wait half an hour, as it was already nearing 7 o'clock.)

6. Mix 4oz (reduced fat) cream cheese with 4oz (reduced fat) sour cream, 1/2 tsp dill weed, and 1/8 tsp minced garlic (the recipe called for garlic powder). You might have to soften the cream cheese in the microwave briefly. The low-fat version called for cottage cheese, which I thought would be too lumpy.

7. Spread cream cheese on crust. Sprinkle carrot on top, then gently press the rest of the vegetables into the cream cheese.

8. Cut into quarters and enjoy about 45 minutes after starting prep.


N.B.--If you enjoyed this vegetarian recipe, you might like the following (in increasing order of difficulty): chickpea saga spinach as a side dish, these kohlrabi fritters for an entree, and/or a green grain gourd salad best for for a holiday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...