Wednesday, July 1, 2020

We Stand With Our Neighbors


On Wednesday, Dear Husband and I took part in a socially distanced inter-faith prayer vigil in central Oakland. We met a couple friends from church at 11:30am to get "ice cream for lunch" from the famous Dave & Andy's Shop. After all, who wants to rally on an empty stomach? Then we joined several dozen people from different congregations and organizations on the lawn in front of the main hospital. The Presbyterian minister (a man of color) leading the day gave us our marching orders: spread out along the main thoroughfare--every 6 feet a heart had been drawn in chalk on the sidewalk--and turn our signs to face the oncoming traffic. So we stood in the sun--either a half mile or a mile, depending on whom you ask--of encouragement for our neighbors of color in Pittsburgh. Left you can see me being interviewed by the local NPR station; here's the story. We got lots of honks and fist pumps, and one Black lady on her lunch break went down the row, shaking hands and thanking people. (Not the thing to do during a pandemic, but I didn't mind, since I wash my hands as soon as I get home.) I know that showing up like this is almost the least we can do, but I also know that it is so hard to be Black in Pittsburgh. It would be easy to assume that all white people care more about having a fancy arena for their trophy-winning ice hockey team than that Black Pittsburghers have safe neighborhoods, good schools, access to healthcare, and well-paying jobs. We stand with our neighbors to show them that they are not alone. After the hour was up, we returned to the grassy lawn for a brief word of thanks and prayer. Next up: work for lasting structural changes. Amen, and amen.

1 comment:

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...