Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Bread pudding in the microwave

While I am "on service" at the hospital, I get up so early that I am rarely hungry. Looking for a healthy, hearty breakfast that I could prepare in the staff kitchenette, I came across this breakfast in a mug. The single serving is slight, so I doubled the recipe for all-morning staying power.



2 slices of bread, cubed into a reusable glass dish
2 eggs whisked with 3-4 tbsp milk, salt, pepper, and herbs*
Chopped grape tomatoes, bell pepper, asparagus, etc. (4 tbsp)
Some diced onion
Optional: crumbled sausage, bacon bits, cubed ham, etc.
Topped with 4 tbsp grated cheese

*Many different seasonings would do, such as basil and oregano, or sage and marjoram, or rosemary, but I've recently discovered how much I love thyme on eggs, potatoes, etc.

The beauty of this recipe is that it can/should be prepared the night before and left to soak over night. Heat on high in the microwave for 1 minute. Let stand for 10 seconds. Microwave for another 1 minute. Let cool slightly and enjoy! Goes well with earthy teas like rooibos, dandelion, or chicory.


Here I can be seen enjoying my "breakfast in a mug" [sic] while reading "Alcohol and the Hypothalamic Pituitary-Adrenal Axis" to try to understand a patient's presentation and laboratory abnormalities.


Editor's Note: Check out these other bread pudding recipes, including savory bread puddingsweet bread puddingseafood bread puddingvegetarian bread pudding, and South African bobotie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...