Sunday, April 6, 2014

Thank Goodness for Husbands and Dishwashers


This evening I made a vegetarian pastitsio for dinner, with kidney beans instead of the usual ground meat.* I got the recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens One Dish Dinners, a gift from My Awesome Parents (MAP) and my favorite cookbook. It listed 17 ingredients, 45 minutes of prep time (accurate), and 35 minutes to bake (a touch long). I knew the casserole would yield more than the 6 servings indicated, because we tend not to eat such large portions. I fudged on some of the measurements as I always do, but you can be sure there was at least 2 cups of fresh spinach. What the recipe with all its numbers and instructions failed to do, however, was to warn me that I would have to use every clean pot in my kitchen and a number of bowls and utensils to make one steaming pan of delicious cheesy goodness. "One-dish dinner," indeed!


* Actually, the beans were my idea, because I didn't think the recipe has enough protein. I also swapped out the "refrigerated egg product" for whole eggs, because I want to eat real food, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...