Friday, December 20, 2019

What Residency Looks Like LXXXIV: Quote Board

The best and worst part about the practice of medicine is that it involves human beings, who rendered the following gems one month while I was taking care of adult patients in the hospital.

About an abdominal xray looking for intestinal obstruction, the radiologist wrote: "Normal or mild/early ileus." ...so is is abnormal or not?

Maxim in critical care medicine: "All shock leads to distributive shock." AKA a safe answer when being pimped about what kind of shock a patient is in.

Patient: "I could hear a rat pissing on cotton." So you had a quiet night, huh? That's pretty rare in a hospital.

Me to a patient: "I will call your son to let him know you are on the floor." (AKA out of the emergency room)
Her: "He's a 25-year-old guy. You have to tell him I'm not literally on the floor,"

Surgical team x2: "We'll take out his larynx and it [aspiration] will no longer be a problem."
Us: That's a mighty big sledgehammer you're wielding there.

Me: "In Medicine we rely on the history 80 of the time."
Consultant: "In Dermatology we rely on physical exam 80% of the time." They apparently trust their own eyes and pattern recognition over any patient's ability to describe what their skin looked like yesterday, much less last week.

Radiologist: "Could the patient possibly have swallowed a tooth?" When the patient was well enough I later asked him, and yes, he thought he might have done.

Night team: "If you ever do this to me, I swear I will come back and haunt you." About a very old and frail patient being re-admitted again.

Radiologist reading an xray ordered "to check placement of PICC line": "No PICC line."

Radiologist about a chest xray: "Pleural effusion occupying 3040% of lung."

Patient: "If I'm going to die, you'd better call my wife and my baby mama." Reader, he did not die.

?Attending: "I got an iced coffee, 'cause it's special to me."


Editor's Note: This month's rotation also brought the random guy in the waiting room googling symptoms for a second opinion, and RAINBOWS.

Older

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...