- My sister-in-law's mother, to breast cancer. She fought long and hard and will be fondly remembered.
My maternal grandmother, to old age. On facebook I wrote that I was "bereft of one amazing grandmother. I bear her name as my middle name; I make sure it's there on all my presentations and publications: Ann. She was sharp as a whip, a strong woman who raised four children, a loving wife, a librarian who introduced me to some of my favorite books. I will always remember your wry sense of humor, Grammy Benbow. xoxo" That's how she used to sign cards to us: xoxoxo.
- The University's Chancellor, to scandal. Also the Provost. And the Head Football Coach.
- Michael's car, to dead brakes, springs, and struts. Good-bye, 1997 Chevy Malibu! So what if your replacement is a 2004 Chevy Malibu with working heat and AC, a CD player, and butt-warmer seats. It's not personal.
- Jon Stewart, long-time host of The Daily Show. While driving for residency interviews, I listened to and later reviewed the audio version of America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction.
- Our cat, Erasmus, to osteosarcoma. (Click to read my mew-logy.)
Please note the blue milk jug ring he has so expertly subdued.
If this post was too much of a downer, check out my list of "rememberlutions"--good things that happened in 2015.