Friday, January 29, 2016

My Medical Grand Tour, Part 4 of 4

Wealthy graduates of American medical schools from the eighteenth to the early twentieth century often traveled to Europe to amplify their training in the medical and clinical sciences. I am sure they partook of the local culture, as well. Current fourth-year students have the opportunity to do something similar when they visit hospitals to interview for residency positions. Some applicants try to do something fun or unique in each city. I was not that ambitious; instead, these are the small moments I captured during the weeks I spent at my parents' or in-laws' houses, the apartments of friends and acquaintances, Air BnB digs, or the occasional hotel. Click here for Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

Still in Baltimore, I helped My Awesome Parents (MAP) decorate for Christmas. Because they were traveling, they did not get a tree this year, but we did buy a plain wreath that I decorated with swag left over from previous Christmases and hung on the front door (above). My father wove cut branches from fir trees  (free from the nursery!) into the rails of the staircase, from which I hung red beaded garland and straw ornaments (right). It was very festive and made the front hall smell fantastic.

Between holidays I popped up to Cleveland, OH, for 24 hours. I stayed at an Air BnB across the street from the hospital and unfortunately had no occasion to take any pictures. But I will always remember that the house was a pretty shade of lavender with white trim.

Back in Pittsburgh, PA, for the third time this interview season, I snapped a shot of the sapphire and diamond earrings I wore for my interview. They were a gift from my father, and unfortunately, the necklace didn't work with my collared shirt, or I would have worn that, too. The traveling jewelry case was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law.

I also enjoyed some of the art at the children's hospital in the Steel City, such as "Hat-trick Hero," a statue celebrating the Pittsburgh Penguins' Stanley Cup wins in 1991, 1992, and 2008. After spending a month in Madison, WI, where University Hospital has fantastic local art decorating its hallways, I decided that if this medicine gig doesn't work out, I would want to become the person who makes the art selections for a hospital.

In Cincinnati, OH, I had three days of interviews plus one day of shadowing but somehow neglected to pack enough black knee-high stockings. One of the pairs that did make it into my bag was actually two unmatched rejects. I borrowed extra from my MIL for the next two days.

My very last residency interview was at my home institution in Urbana, IL. There is a picture of my playing ping-pong with one of the other applicants in between interviews; unfortunately, I can't get it off the internal memory card of my camera without the cord that I lost while traveling. You'll just have to take my word for it.

And there you have it, a photo essay of my residency interview travels. If I stayed with you or we met up along the way, I'm so glad. And if we didn't, maybe next time. For now, I'm happy to be home with Dear Husband, sleeping in my own bed and wearing not-a-suit every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...