Wednesday, June 21, 2017

What Internship Looks Like XL: Historical Dietetics Noon Conference

Me at the podium; photo credit M.V.
Sometimes internship looks like giving the very first noon conference to the new Pediatric interns. In the first part I made an argument for the usefulness of medical humanities to clinical medicine (aka "why I did not waste 8 years of my life earning a PhD"); in the second part I presented a case study of two little boys who took sick in Dresden during World War I; and in the last part I explained the current clinical guidelines for the treatment of acute gastroenteritis (the BRAT diet is no longer "state of the art" when treating vomiting and diarrhea).

At Housestaff Lunch later in the week, a very kind senior resident submitted a kudos that was shared with the whole program:

Kudos to Kristen Ehrenberger for her awesome noon conference this week - your fun and enthusiastic ability to blend historical context with practical recommendations made for an awesome hour. What a great way to kick off the year for the new ‘terns!  P.S. I would fund a kickstarter for a weekly “Medical Story Time with Dr. E”


Older
Newer 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...