Sunday, April 26, 2020

Quarantine Baking

When I realized there was a bunch of bananas in the physicians' lounge that was so ripe no one would eat them, I stuck them in the freezer until after my shift. I looked up banana bread recipes that were fairly simple to make (no yeast) and would not leave me with 1/2 a container of sour cream. I settled on a pair from Two Peas and Their Pod, in no small part because they offered versions with and without chocolate. Then I made sure Dear Husband brought home sufficient flour, eggs, and butter for all this baking.

To the right is the chocolate chip banana bread I made for myself. Never having baked banana bread before, I was surprised to discover that the skins were still frosty cold, even though the flesh had thawed into pulpy mush!

Above left is the peanut butter banana bread I made for DH and topped with peanuts. It required less flour, butter, and eggs, and no baking powder than the chocolate chip one. However, only after starting the measurements for the second loaf did I realize I had put in twice the amount of butter (1 stick is half a cup, not a quarter cup)! Thankfully I hadn't started mixing yet and was able to skim a quarter cup of melted butter out of the bowl.

I baked them together and therefore lengthened the time a little bit, but I wish I had rescued them at exactly 50 minutes, as they are both a little more done than I had hoped. Now I know for next time!

Want other baking ideas? Check out these posts for Sweet Potato Casserole, Apple Maple French Toast Bake, or Reindeer Turds. I cannot, however, recommend this Blueberry Oatmeal Coffee Cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...