Monday, November 2, 2020

Where I'm From

I am from the sandbox next to the lilac bush,

from hot pavement under foot

and cold water from the sprinkler.

I am from the bottle rocket brigade

and an aluminum fishing boat, the red hymnal

and poker only on vacation.

I am from 1066

and raspberry bushes behind the farmhouse.

I am from Andes mints and Uncle Dana's stuffing,

Thin Mints, and peanut butter, and snowballs with marshmallow.

I am from Easter photos in front of the azaleas,

nose in books, and grips, and midnight chess.

I am from Hradovice-Strimelice and Veselé Vánoce

and developed Heimweh in high school.

We play Trivial Pursuit on New Year's Eve.

N'zdar, y'all!


This is a poem I wrote during a class with medical students modeled on George Ella Lyon's poem "Where I'm From."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...