Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Adventures with my bicycle, Part 3 of 3

This is the last of my bicycle adventures, the detour I made on the long trek back up the hill above my house to visit Schloss Albrechtsberg, which dates to 1854 and a certain Prince Albrecht, kicked out of Prussia for his morganatic marriage to Rosalie von Rauch, the daughter of a former Prussian Minister of War and "merely" Countess of Hohenau. The afternoon was lovely, so I parked my bike and wandered around the grounds, which have been open to the public since 1930.  Like the other Elbschlösse (“Elbe castles”), this one has a magnificent view of the river and the city on the other side.  Because of the leaves on the ground and the vines over the baroque architecture, it felt a little like I was discovering a forgotten civilization.


 



Albrecht, in case you are wondering, was the fourth and youngest Hohenzollern son.  His older brothers included Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV and also Prussian King/German Emperor Wilhelm I.  Poor Albrecht made it to the rank of Generaloberst (Colonel-General) in the Prussian cavalry before he kicked off in 1872 at the early age of 63, but he's probably best known for the Nazi SS using his Berlin palace as their headquarters, with the Gestapo just down the street, also named after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...