Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Der Über-Handy


Here’s a quickie while I work on a more thoughtful post about food culture shock. This is my new Handy, which I bought for calling and texting in Germany. It’s so much more complicated (for me) than the old candybar phone with the stiff nub antenna I have back home, that I had to switch the phone language to English to begin to make any sense of it. I don't like to speak German over the phone, because I can't respond to the other person's facial expressions (i.e. can they understand me?), so I might do more texting.  However, this phone is so smart--not only will it tell you when its battery has been sufficiently charged--but it will also "help" finish words as you type them.  Although it doesn't do a very good job at that!  So maybe I will have to discontinue that function and just spell things on my own.  Another caveat: this cellphone doesn't have a qwerty keyboard, so there's a little more maneuvering to do with getting capital letters--you know, for the start of German nouns.  It may just be easier to succumb to the dumbing-down of written/typed grammar...  That having been said, should I ever get lost without a Stadtplan in a quiet quarter of Dresden on a Sunday morning again, I know who will rescue me!  (In case you’re wondering, the Polizei are 110 in Germany and/or 112 throughout the European Union.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...