Friday, June 29, 2018

What Residency Looks Like XXXIII: Call Rooms


Sometimes residency looks like spending the night in a hospital call room of questionable cleanliness  in which only half the lights and showers work, all so that you don't have to hike up the hill to the parking garage at 11pm, drive home, go to bed, and then turn around and do it all again in less than 8 hours. Thank goodness my bestie J.R. gifted me a sleeping bag liner for cool sleep and sweet dreams, as all of the beds had what looked like old, used linens on them. It is the only time I have slept in a call room in two years, and only because I was not actually "on call." In my experience, overnight shifts are typically too busy, or the call room is too far away, to get any rest in the hospital. What sleep I got would have been improved if the person in the suite nextdoor hadn't turned on the television AT FULL VOLUME in the room on the other side of the wall as the bed at 2AM and left it on for the rest of the night.

Older

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...