Thursday, July 9, 2020

Quarantine Cooking #1

What have I been up to this summer? It seems like, if I am not studying, I am fixing food, eating food, or cleaning up from one of those two activities. While breakfasts have been a continuous showcase of all the wonderful ways to enjoy fruits and berries--such as the waffles with peanut butter, syrup, and strawberries to the left--and lunches have been a rotation of soups or sandwiches, dinners have included a number of new dishes and/or combinations.




For instance, check out the Treasure Island Chicken above with a creamy cinnamon-pineapple sauce and roasted Brussels Sprouts. I used to bake it with the skin on, but now I buy skinless chicken breasts, and a long time ago I switched from white rice to brown rice for the nutrients. I'm sorry to say I associate this recipe with having a couple over for dinner once who later broke up, as it's a really delightful entree you can make once and eat from for several days.

Speaking of leftovers, I tried a new kind of savory bread pudding, this time with sun-dried tomatoes and corn. Dear Husband usually eats bread pudding reluctantly, but even he agreed this was delicious. From the remains of the French loaf I cut up and froze enough bread cubes for two more casseroles and will probably change up the ingredients to see what else goes together. I have made versions with seafood and with ham and spinach a couple of times, but I notice it has been a while since I made a breakfast bread pudding, and I've only ever made South African Bobotie once before.


Editor's Note: You can find Quarantine Cooking #2 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...