Thursday, August 20, 2020

Lake Anna Excursions

Man smiles across a picnic table with boxes of food and little cups of ciderImage shows a fishing pole, wooden dock, and a lake vista

While on our family vacation to Lake Anna, we took a couple of excursions.

Left: One evening we went to a local cider manufacturer with a BBQ joint attached. They had tables set up outside for distanced eating, drinking, and trivia. We called ourselves "The Magnificent Six" and finished solidly in the middle of the pack. Here you can see my BBQ mac n cheese and a flight of 9 ciders. I eventually invested in two four packs that will take us all winter to finish. 

Right: Fishing off the dock. I didn't catch anything, but everybody else did. In fact, Mom caught a catfish big enough to eat the last night we were there, but since we already had more than enough food, we didn't ask Dad to clean it.

Woman holds a net with a large catfish in it

Below: One day we played miniature golf. The course was very good, not too crowded, although you can see that the skies were threatening. Not pictured: N's girlfriend, C.

A family smiles on a miniature golf course under cloudy gray skies

Over the week I read 2.5 books: I finished reading the book Dear Husband had given me for my birthday: Michelle Harper, The Beauty in Breaking, a memoir by an African-American ER physician, which I leant to C. I read from cover to cover the book that N. had given me for Christmas, Thomas Harding, The House by the Lake. It is a biography of his family's lake house outside Berlin and the families who owned or lived in it over 100+ years of German history. It was an easy read, and I could imagine assigning it in an undergraduate course. Finally, in the car on the way home, I read Melany Jackson, More Than Enough, a memoir about her calling to start a homeless ministry in Illinois. I can't remember the last time I had the freedom to do so much reading; it reminded me of the binge I went on in undergrad after finishing my thesis. The whole trip was good for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...