Sunday, January 9, 2022

Light During Dark Days: Phipps Holiday Show 2021-22

The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens puts on a holiday display every winter that combines themed gardens and a model train set indoors, and lights in the outside courtyards. I am sure it is a money-maker and probably enables the Phipps to stay open the rest of the year. Dear Husband and I skipped the show last year due to the pandemic, but this year a colleague organized a group trip on the last night. It COLD but delightful and not too crowded.


The space-age glowing orbs outside are one of our favorite features.
We think they multiply while in storage between holiday shows.


The greenhouses seemed extra colorful this year.
Can you spot the Chihuly glass sculpture hanging over the foyer?

The Sunken Garden was bright in blue, red, and green.


The centerpiece of the Victoria Room this year was a traditional fir tree decorated in white lights and red ribbons in white gazebo at the center of the pond.


This wreath impressed me with its simplicity: a "pearl" in an oyster shell surrounded by dried branches.


Above, the Rachel Carson and ?Hot Metal Bridge. Below, the Pittsburgh Bus Sinkhole, the infamous incident that spawned many Halloween costumes in 2019.



Their summer show had been "troll" themed. Here, they've been re-dressed for Christmas.


In the Children's Discovery Garden, DH and I slow danced in this gazebo to the music that was playing.
Once we were outside and I felt comfortable momentarily taking down my double mask, I did try the "hot" mulled wine, but for the 3/4-full cup they gave me, the $8 was more like a donation. We are considering purchasing another annual membership, maybe in the summer when things calm down again. Until then, we hope your holidays were bright and spent in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...