Sunday, January 23, 2022

Winter Wonderland

 




It's been a snowy January here in Pittsburgh. I took these photographs on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, while tramping through Frick Park with Dear Husband. It was a marvelous way to spend an hour on a Monday, avoiding the work we had to do. It wasn't as deserted as you might think, however, thanks to the number of dog walkers (and one cross-country skier). I had originally drafted this post with the photos in case I wanted to flesh out the tragedy I began composing in my head while sitting on the bench overlooking the ravine: two young lovers, just married on New Year's Eve, take a walk in the park to enjoy the beauty of the surroundings but, each not wanting to spoil the moment for the other, continues to sit in silence through a snowstorm until they freeze to death, and the sun comes up on New Year's Day over their still and lifeless bodies. DH told me I was no O'Henry, so maybe I'll leave it at that.

I hadn't realized this post was still in my drafts folder, so it's nice to come back to now that those paths are blocked off on account of the bridge collapsing just to the left/west of what you see here. Better to have nice memories until the mess is cleaned up, the weather warms, and we take our long walks through and over Fern Hollow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...