Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Germany West: Bielefeld

My itinerary last month looked something like this: Chicago --> Frankfurt --> Berlin --> Hamburg --> Berlin --> Dresden --> Bielefeld --> Dresden --> Leipzig --> Frankfurt --> Chicago. I have put these photos up under "Germany West," because as with my previous trip, my research took place primarily in old East Germany. I did however make a one-day junket over to the western part of the country, to the University of Bielefeld, in order to hear a paper and to have one of my dissertation chapters discussed. (A research group there also studies the German Hygiene Museum.) In order not to eat into my time at the archives, however, I planned to do all my traveling on the same day, which meant an early morning, a late night, and more time "on the rails" than I actually spent in Bielefeld. For you lovers of all things trains, planes, and automobiles, this is "the train post." (Not all of the photos are from that specific trip.)

S-Bahn in Berlin Hauptbahnhof

Inside a Regional Express traveling through Berlin

My InterCity Express (ICE) train arrives in Berlin!

Berlin Hauptbahnhof
S-Bahn in Hamburg (with person running to catch it)
Christmas decorations in Hamburg Hbf.

"Antique" Strassenbahn cars in Dresden; these run on the E3 line.
Train set in the Dresden Hauptbahnhof. For 1 Euro you can run the trains. I just watched.

2 comments:

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...