Thursday, January 30, 2014

Shrimp Couscous

While I was in Germany on research (the first time--well, not the first-first time, but the longest time), I posted the following recipe as an example of "American" food I prepared for friends who were putting me up. Of all the dishes I have invented, this is one of Dear Husband's favorites, and it is a staple in our house. I am re-posting the recipe because I finally have a photograph to go with the instructions.
      Shrimp Couscous
Shrimp, thawed (+/- shells)
Broccoli, with long stems
Boxed coucous, any flavor
Craisins
Pine nuts, toasted if you like
Olive oil
Garlic, minced
Start boiling the water for the couscous. When the olive oil and garlic are hot, begin cooking the shrimp. When the water has boiled, turn off the heat and add the couscous. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli. Just before the couscous is finished cooking, stir in the craisins and pine nuts (if you toast them, put them in the oven at the very beginning of the cooking process). When everything is cooked, spoon the couscous mixture into individual bowls, arrange the broccoli around the edges, and top with shrimp.



You'll see I took the time to burn my fingers standing the broccoli florets up around the edge of the bowl. To be quite honest, we don't usually go through the trouble and just pile the shrimp and broccoli together on top.  (It's a one-dish meal that takes 3 pots/pans to prepare.) In our experience, one box of couscous makes 3 servings, so we always buy 2 boxes the week we make this recipe. That way we can have fresh couscous twice, and then re-heat the leftovers the last night. This week DH bought Mediterranean Curry and some other flavor of couscous. I didn't think it was quite the right base for this dish--I usually choose Herb & Garlic--but we both though the Med. Curry couscous was so interesting that we're going to buy more to have with homemade falafel in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...