Thursday, January 14, 2021

FrDrDr's Vegan Baking Adventure

A friend from graduate school frequently shares his recipes on Facebook. I've never tried one of his clafoutis before, but when he posted a recipe for pineapple strawberry shortbread, I decided it was recipe I could bake. He's vegan now, so where his recipe uses 1 cup non dairy milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, I just used 1 cup of dairy milk.

"New Year, Same Anxiety Strawberry Pineapple Breads"

Ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup sugar, 1 pinch of salt, 1 cup non dairy milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar [OR 1 cup dairy milk], 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp lemon extract, aquafaba from 1 can of chickpeas, 7 oz of canned crushed pineapple (include juice) [this is a small can! or 7/8 of a cup], about 7 strawberries, sliced thin [I didn't want to pay for out-of-season strawberries, so I used walnut pieces]

Directions: 

Heat oven to 350F (180C) 

Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, salt in a bowl 

In a measuring cup, pour in milk, vinegar, vanilla, lemon extract, stir and let sit one minute [can skip this step if using dairy milk; I combined the wet ingredients without waiting]

Whisk the measuring cup of liquids into your dry goods bowl

Stir in aquafaba 

Fold in the pineapple 

Pour into tins or ramekins, top with strawberry slices/walnut pieces

Bake for 25-30 minutes [our oven is weak-sauce, so I baked my muffins for 40 minutes]


Meanwhile, I made hummus with the chickpeas according to this recipe. It turned out very well! (The trick is to include some of the tahini hiding in the fridge.) I will add hot paprika for hummus and cucumber sandwiches for lunch this week.

Dear Husband had bought me a regular/large can of crushed pineapple, so I will use the rest in oatmeal--I'm saving it in the fridge while eating my way through the muffins. Mine came out a little tacky, so next time I will short the milk a little bit. Still, delicious, and different!

I always appreciate new recipes, like this "Miracle Soup" from two vegetables that aren't usually paired together, or this soup made with coconut milk, a vegan substitute I don't usually have on hand. Do you have one that I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...