Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Rememberlutions 2018: Here's to the Year that Was


I have a tradition of collecting good memories throughout the year to look back on at the end. 2018's jar was full of ticket stubs and little scraps of paper. Here they are, in no particular order, with some as-yet unpublished photos.

In January, Dear Husband and I thumbed our noses at the frigid temps of the "bomb cyclone" with tropical drinks and friends S.B. and R.B. I also visited my paternal relatives in Charlotte, NC, for MLK Weekend.

In March, we visited family (and alligators!) in Florida for Spring Break. Then M.A.P. (My Awesome Parents) visited, and we ate our way through Allentown.

In April I treated myself to "Potted Potter," a comedic abridged version of the books/movies. We also watched a local production of Jane Eyre at WQED's Fred Rogers Studio. Unfortunately, their Jane was much too feisty for me. In my head, she was quieter and mousier.

In May I traveled back to Champaign for two retirement parties and to see old friends. I want to remember the smell of lilacs there in May.

In June we laughed our @$$es off at The Reduced Shakespeare performance.

In August, DH and I celebrated 13 years of marriage, and in October, 20 years of being a couple. (Flowers above.)

Over Labor Day weekend, DH, friend A.S., and I visited the Art of the Brick exhibit at the Carnegie Science Center, where we geeked out at the amazing things Nathan Sawaya can do with Legos.

In October we memorialized my grandfather with military and Sokol honors (right). Also, being an Elite Yelper for the second year in a row entitled us to attend the best Halloween party in the city.

In December, DH and I joined friends J.H.R. and K.R. at Peter Jackson's British Great War documentary, They Shall Not Grow Old.

I want to remember...
- The intern who thought I was so good I must be a third-year resident (I was a second-year at the time).
- That time I predicted a patient had "sick sinus syndrome" and the electrophysiology fellow disagreed--at first!
- Every time another resident sought my opinion as a colleague.
- Being mistaken for a new attending because of my Palliative Care phone skills.
- How it felt to be challenged to speak to medical students the way I talk to patients.
- Every attending, fellow, intern, and medical student who told me how pleased they were that I was their senior resident.
- Seeing my first Acute Tubular Necrosis (ATN) muddy brown cast under a microscope.
- The second time I took the microphone for Chairman's Report, I did better than the first.
- Playing "Marco Polo" with my attending in his office building.
- When the care manager told me, "You are the best resident at running rounds."
- How much personal growth I underwent while rotating as the Neonatal ICU triage on the way to pediatric Emergency Department sedation resident.
- The repercussions after improperly supervising a medical student doing a HEADS exam.
- The sound of Haendel's Messiah with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and Mendelssohn Choir.
- Every nurse and every patient who thanked me for my enthusiasm and good doctoring.
- The patient's wife who kissed me on the cheek after  I comforted her.
- That one attending complimented me for writing "fellow-level notes."
- The 90-year-old patient who called me "Dr. Magic" and teased that I had a healing handshake.
- When a colleague stopped me in the hallway to say he doesn't study very much but always enjoys my Teaching Rounds posts.
- That I knocked my research presentation to the Internal Medicine Department out of the park.

Once, three different people in three weeks described me as "a calm team leader." Other compliments included "lifesaver" and "consummate team player." Then there was the time a genetics fellow complimented me months later on doing a really good neurology exam on a patient.

Yes, I really posted a picture of a battery with the caption,
"On RED team, we're positive" in the team room.
I finally lost my Rocky Horror Picture Show virginity.

I also went to trivia sometimes on Wednesday evening. Once I won both a free drink and third place in the competition with a team called "TiKel Me Kristen."

The friend who sent me this note: "Lady, You are valued. You are a force to be reckoned with. You are amazing. Thinking of you."

Baseball games:
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Philadelphia Phillies at Spectrum Field (Largo/Clearwater blog post)
We also watched the Baltimore Orioles lose to the Toronto Blue Jays at Ed Smith Stadium (Sarasota blog post)
Milwaukee Brewers vs Pittsburgh Pirates on Johns Hopkins Alumni Day
Pittsburgh Pirates vs New York Mets on a HOT day at the end of July
Butler Bluesox vs Kokomo Jackrabbits with new friends in the Home of the Jeep

Also, we attended Pitt Gymnastics vs North Carolina State, Temple, and Towson University. This was a neat date, since our third date ever was to a Towson gymnastics meet. We also had a hot date at the hospital cafeteria together.

DH and I shared the experience of a lifetime with some artistic friends at a concert called "Into the Earth" that literally took place IN A CAVE. These are some of the same people with whom we went on retreat, retreat! to Raccoon Creek State Park.

Presenting in Los Angeles with the American Association for the History of Medicine and in Pittsburgh with the German Studies Association. I'll be at both conferences in 2019, in Columbus, OH, and in Portland, OR.

Enjoying the floral displays at the Phipps Botanical Garden for Valentine's Day, in the spring, and the holiday decorations with friend J.B. [post and pics coming!].

Finally, DH and I adopted Rosamunde "Rosie" from the local humane society. She has fattened up nicely, has a beautiful coat and glorious purr, and there will surely be many more photos of her on this blog.

I had HOPED to share I had finally gotten my first solo academic history piece published, but it still hasn't happened yet. I am looking forward to being recruited to join the Pitt faculty without the need for further training (i.e. a fellowship, a medical education degree).


Editor's Note: You can find previous years' blog posts here: 2017, 2016, 2015 Parts 1 and 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments let me know that I am not just releasing these thoughts into the Ether...